Licensing of public performance for lucrative purpose
UPFR grants licenses for Public performance with a lucrative scope to legal persons and freelancers for each activity and work site in which music is used. The license is not transferable. You can opt for a validity period of up to one year, with the possibility to extend it.
Already having a license?
Access the online platform!
Don't have a license?
Apply for a license!
This license is appropriate if the registered music or videos are used as main resource into your activity (show, disco, club, bar, cabaret, dance activities, dance clubs, nightclub bar, videotheque, rhythmic gymnastics, gym, aerobics, zumba aerobic, kangoo jumpetc). The license grants you the right to play music in closed or open spaces, where the public has access to and which are mentioned in the license.
According to ORDA Decision No. 113/2006, UPFR is designated as the collector of remuneration due to producers of phonograms for the public communication of phonograms.
Before making use of registered music/ videos, you are legally bound to request this specific license from UPFR, which acts as a collecting society for the rights related to copyright that the recording companies own. The procedure for obtaining a license for a lucrative purpose (click here). For further information please refer to the ORDA decisions below.
General legal system
CAREFUL!!! From April 4, 2022, the previous penalty from the Methodologies below no longer applies, but a penalty equal to the legal interest. The level of the delay penalty provided by the methodologies was modified by art. 165 para. 91 of Law no. 8/1996 on copyright and related rights, amended by Law no. 69/2022, in force from 04.04.2022.
The methodology in force for lucrative purposes
Methodology for collecting remuneration – ORDA Decision no. 35/2023, published in the Official Gazette no. 133/16.02.2023. View/Download
Methodology for collecting remuneration – ORDA Decision no. 6/2022, ublished in the Official Gazette no. 149/15.02.2022. View/Download
Methodology for collecting remuneration – ORDA Decision no. 60/2019, published in the Official Gazette no. 467/10.06.2019. View/Download
Methodology for collecting remuneration – ORDA Decision no. 10/2016, published in the Official Gazette no. 146 / 25.02.2016. View/Download
Methodology for collecting remuneration – ORDA Decision no. 189/2013, published in the Official Gazette no. 788 / 16.12.2013. View/ Download
Methodology for collecting remuneration – ORDA Decision no. 399/2006, published in the Official Gazette no. 982 / 08.12.2006. View/Download
Phonogram Reproduction Methodology – ORDA Decision no. 192/2007, published in the Official Gazette no. 382 / 06.06.2007. View/Download
The license License for Public Performance with lucrative use shall be requested for the following activities:
1. Different type of events, shows, tours, campaigns, etc. that make use of a soundtrack – the license must be requested by the organisers
2. Pub, disco, bar, club, bars that play videos, restaurant (with shows), cabaret, units equipped with music-box, karaoke, jukebox, multimedia, and other similar
The specific list of users and the fees are excerpted from the Methodology regarding the Public Performance of music published with a commercial scope, published in the Official Gazette No. 146/2016 through Decision no.10/2016 of the Romanian Copyright Office – click here.
The specific list of users and the fees are excerpted from the Methodology regarding the Public Performance of music published with a commercial scope, published in the Official Gazette No. 788/2013 through Decision no.189/ 2013 of the Romanian Copyright Office – click here.
If you are aware of non-compliant users, please respectfully inform us and UPFR will take the necessary action.
1. Fill out the Agreement (download the Agreement and the Annexes) and read the Instructions for filling out the agreement.
2. Send the Agreement signed and stamped in 2 copies to the Public Performance Department (Union of Phonogram Producers in Romania, 6E Dimitrie Pompeiu Bvld, Pipera Business Tower, 11th Floor, District 2, Bucharest) or to the inspector that is responsible for your county. You will receive a copy of the agreement signed and stamped by UPFR.
3. You will receive a payment notification letter issued according to the data filled out by you on the statement or agreement. The initial value to be paid is the minimum amount specified by the methodology. The differences reported by the Financial reports shall be subsequently invoiced.
4. Pay the remuneration specified in the Payment notification letter.
The payment shall be performed in maximum 5 days since receiving the Payment notification letter:
1. Through OP in UPFR account – IBAN RO92RNCB0070153249250001 opened at BCR, Pipera branch, on UPFR-IBAN account RO59BTRL04801205551670XX opened at 1 May Bank branch in Banca Transilvania (do not forget to specify on the OP series and the Notification of Payment) or in UPFR-IBAN account RO66BRDE445SV20971204450 open at BRD – Dorobanti Branch
2. By depositing cash at any BRD or BT branch in the UPFR accounts specified above (do not forget to specify the series and the Notification of Payout number)
3. Cash payment to the UPFR Inspectors – in the counties where we have Inspectors who have receipts; you will receive a receipt from the Inspector at the time of payment.
4. Cash payment at UPFR Headquarters in Bucharest, 6E Dimitrie Pompeiu Boulevard, Sector 1.
You will receive an original License. UPFR emite sau prelungeşte Licenţa UPFR issues or extends the non-exclusive license starting with the payment date.
UPFR issues the license only after completing the payment mentioned at step 4. (If you wish to extend your license, you should request this 5 days prior to the expiry date)
If you pay according to item 4 above and you do not receive the receipt or if you have not received your tax invoice, please contact us by phone at 021.222.20.45/6/7/8, fax 021.222.20.43 or email email@example.com.
The value of the fee depends on the type of activity in which the music is used, of the rural/urban area of the work site and other criteria. The VAT in force on the date of the payment shall be added to the mentioned fees. Open the attached document for each type of activity and consult the fees.
For events, shows, tours, and similar, the license is issued per event or for a series of events.
If you fall into a pub, bar, club, etc. category (the second category below detailed), you can opt for a validity period of up to 12 months, with the possibility to extend it.
The license for DJs is issued only for 1 year succesive periods.
The remunerations afferent to the UPFR license are established through the ORDA Decision 35/2023, ORDA Decision 6/2022, published in Official Gazzete No. 149/15.02.2022, ORDA Decision 60/2019, published in Official Gazette No. 467/10.06.2019, in Methodology regarding the public performance of music published with a commercial scope, published in the Official Gazette No. 146/25.02.2016.