Cable Retransmission License
According to ORDA Decision no. 79/2014 starting with 31 July 2014, UPFR was appointed as been collecting society so it collects remuneration afferent to cable retransmission for the rights related to copyright, owned by recording companies.
Already having a license?
Access the online platform!
Don't have a license?
Apply for a license!
Any user in this category must apply for the license before commencing the retransmission. Having a non-exclusive license granted by a collecting society does not exclude the user’s legal duty to obtain a license from all the collecting societies that represent other rights holders mentioned by the law.
Read the Methodology in effect.
UPFR mentions that the article in all license authorizations in force after April 4, 2022 that refers to penalties, is assumed to have been modified by UPFR, in the sense of calculating any penalty after this date with the application of legal interest.
Terms as defined by the Methodology:
Usage – “Within the meaning of the present methodology, by usage we understand the simultaneous genuine integrate retransmission through wire, cable, optical fibre or any other similar means, or through a radio broadcast system with ultra-short waves, in order for the public to receive the initial transmission, with or without wire, satellite, including digital system, of radio broadcast and/or television program services that broadcast music and cinema works or other audiovisual works, written works, visual arts works, videos and music to the public. (Methodology established through ORDA Decision No. 327/2010 P.1)
User – “The user, within the meaning of the present methodology, is the natural or legal person that carries out retransmission activities through cable or satellite, including digital system, as defined in point 1. ” (Methodology established through ORDA Decision No. 327/2010 P.2)
- – Cable Retransmission License (view)
General legal system
Law No. 8/ 1996 (Copyright Law and Copyright Related Rights), amended and suplemented by Law No. 69/2022.
Methodology for Cable Retransmission
- ORDA Decision no. 327 of 2010 having as object the final form of the Methodology regarding the determination of the remuneration due to copyright holders and holders of related rights for cable retransmission, published in the Official Gazette no. 861 / 22.12.2010 according to the CAB Civil Decision no. 263 A of 16.11.2010 View
- ORDA Decision no. 79/2014 to designate UPFR as a collector of remuneration for phonogram producers for cable retransmission as of July 31, 2014. View
- ORDA Decision no. 338 of 2010 regarding the designation of UPFR as the collector of remuneration for producers of cable retransmissions for cable retransmission View
The specific segments of users are natural or legal persons that carry out retransmission activities by cable or satellite, also by digital system, of radiobroadcast and/or television program services in order for the public to receive works as movies or other audiovisual works, written works, visual art works, videos and music.
See Methodology in effect
If you are aware of non-compliant users, please respectfully inform us and UPFR will take the necessary action.
The required steps:
1. Fill out the request here
2. Send the signed and stamped request, copy of Registration Certificate, copy of CNA cable retransmission approval to UPFR, Cable department, 6E Dimitrie Pompeiu Blvd, Bucharest, in attention of Cable Representative. Please send these scanned documents to firstname.lastname@example.org for efficiency.
3. You will receive two originals of the License signed and stamped by UPFR. Please send back to UPFR a signed and stamped copy.
4. Fill out and send report monthly by post, fax or email, in attention of Cable Representative, no later than the 15th of the month following the month for which it was prepared
5. You receive the invoice made on the basis of report by email or by post/courier.
6. You pay the remuneration until the 20th of the month following the month for which it is due on UPFR bank account IBAN RO59BTRL04801205551670XX, Transilvania Bank or on UPFR Bank account IBAN RO92RNCB0070153249250001, BCR Pipera. If you do not pay on due date you will pay late penalties (9 Art. ORDA Decision no 327/2010 published on Official Gazette 861 on 22/12/2010)
According to the methodology in effect, the value of the remuneration collected represents 0,25% from the base for calculations declared by each user in the monthly report. The base for calculating the fee is formed by the total monthly gross income obtained from the activity of retransmission of radio or television programs, without VAT, if the case, and in the lack of income the base of calculation will become the total expenses generated by this activity.
By the 15th of each month, users will submit a monthly report for the previous month, including the number of subscribers, subscription amount and basis of calculation for each different type of subscription.
The remuneration is to be paid on a monthly basis until the 20th of the following month for which is due, based on the invoice issued by UPFR. For payment delays, the users owe penalties to UPFR which are equivalent to equivalent to the reference interest of the National Bank of Romania, related to amounts not paid on time, calculated per day of delay.